Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Is Crime in UK getting out of control?

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    Dunno that it would bother me these days, though I'd have certainly agreed with you in past about coppers carrying guns in the UK. The Garda have been armed for many a year but the Republic is not like down town New York with trigger happy cops. As long as the selection process is stringent to vet each officer on a continuous basis, as long as the training is of the requisite quality so we don't give guns to glorified security guards then fine I say.
    It would need forethought and investment, not a crappy two day course for PC Plod, probably the ROI model is the one we would have to follow if we ever went down that path
    None of the normal gardai out on the streets carry guns. I think it's only special units and detectives. Are detectives not armed in Britain?

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    Dunno that it would bother me these days, though I'd have certainly agreed with you in past about coppers carrying guns in the UK. The Garda have been armed for many a year but the Republic is not like down town New York with trigger happy cops. As long as the selection process is stringent to vet each officer on a continuous basis, as long as the training is of the requisite quality so we don't give guns to glorified security guards then fine I say.
    It would need forethought and investment, not a crappy two day course for PC Plod, probably the ROI model is the one we would have to follow if we ever went down that path. If it means an officer can assert himself/herself when faced with overwhelming numbers then fine, if it means an officer can drop a terrorist on sight ditto. I've not gone all Daily Mail on you, it is just a recognition of changing times. I wouldn't feel my rights were being infringed by such a move.
    what has actually happened to change your view?

arming police wouldn't have stopped the bridge attacks or the Manchester bomber. response times are generally very quick around the high risk areas and I'm not sure how policing would be improved by giving them guns. I'd say it places them at greater risk and criminals would be more inclined to 'even the odds' or target them in order to take their weapons.

my bottom line really would be to ballot the entire police force and let them decide. I dare say they'd vote against arming as a matter of routine.

2 more acid attacks in London over the weekend.

Sadly a take away driver might by permanently blinded.

One of the attackers was a 14 year old for fecks sake.

Also 21 youths have been murdered in London this year.

All of the victims either stabbed to death or shot are black.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    Indeed, who can forget those brave freedom fighters planting bombs in McDonalds restaurants and pubs?
    Did the actually bomb McD's?. I knew about the pubs but thats a new one on me. I once knew someone years ago who refused to eat at McD's because he thought they funded the IRA?!.