Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russia 2018 World Cup.

So Italy have bombed out.

will be odd not having tem there but no sympathy from me. The big nations have every advantage to qualify because of the seeding set up so have only themselves to blame.

Well no Ireland at the world cup and our brilliant fans who I'm sure the Russians would've loved. Anyway Denmark were the better team and deserved it. Can't believe we gave O Neill a new contract. He did well to get us to the playoffs but it was primitive football that was found out in the end. We need to bring in a proper coach and not a manager which is all O Neill is. And just like trappatoni he was too afraid to play our most creative player in Wes hoolahan in the big games and went with negative defensive lineups who played overly direct football. Anyway well done to the team for getting to the playoffs and maybe we'll get there in 2022 especially if it's a 48 team world cup

With the players that Ireland have at their disposal getting to the playoffs is a frigging miracle!.

Here are the pots for the World Cup draw on 1st December:-

Pot 1

Russia
    Argentina
    Germany
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Poland
    Portugal
    France

Pot 2

Spain
    Peru
    Columbia
    Mexico
    Switzerland
    Uruguay
    England
    Croatia

Pot 3

Denmark
    Tunisia
    Iceland
    Egypt
    Costa Rica
    Senegal
    Sweden
    Iran

Pot 4

Serbia
    Morocco
    Nigeria
    Panama
    Australia
    South Korea
    Japan
    Saudi Arabia

Who do you fancy getting out of these groups. Russia look like the weak team in pot 1 but on home soil will be tough to beat, Poland maybe?. Woudlnt want to get Iceland or Costa Rica from pot 3 following their heroics at Euro 2016 and the last world cup but would be happy to draw Tunisia or Iran. I dont see any team from pot 4 posing a threat but you never know. By the way how did Peru get into pot 2?!,.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    With the players that Ireland have at their disposal getting to the playoffs is a frigging miracle!.
    Miracle is a bit of a strong word. It's tough but not when your up against Serbia Wales and Austria who aren't exactly world beaters. Remember we have plenty of premier league players in our team so we are not minnows. It would have been easier if we had a manager who wanted to play a bit of football and of course a fit Seamus Coleman

Real pity there's no Italy holland Chile and USA at the tournament. There'll be some poor groups and knockout fixtures as a result. And Poland and Russia being number one seeds is a bit of a joke. The only good thing about that is you might see Spain and England in an interesting group

Draw for world cup takes place on 1st December in Russia.

Am i right in saying England can't play another European country in group stages?

Group A: Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
    Group B: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
    Group C: France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
    Group D: Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
    Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
    Group F: Germany, Sweden, Mexico, South Korea
    Group G: Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
    Group H: Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Is it a good draw for England or will we flop again and exit in group stage?

I'm also looking forward to watching Spain beat current Euro champions Portugal.

Not many big games in the group stages. Spain v Portugal the biggest of the lot. England should easily get out of their group . Was hoping they'd get Germany or Brazil just to make things interesting. Argentina have the toughest group for me and amazingly they got Nigeria again. That's the 5th time in the last 6 tournaments

Easy group for England unless Panama or Tunisia turn out to be one of the surprise packages. The 2nd round doesn't seem too threatening should we progress as none of the teams in Group H look unbeatable. Id say at this early stage another quarter final appearance followed by the exit via penalties!.