Thread: Slomka new coach at Schalke 04

Slomka new coach at Schalke 04

Mirko Slomka has been appointed head coach at Schalke 04, the Bundesliga club have confirmed.

Schalke dismissed previous incumbent Ralf Rangnick last month three days after the coach announced he would be leaving the club at the end of the season.

Slomka, who had been Rangnick's assistant since October 2004, will initially coach the club until the end of the season, Schalke said on their website on Wednesday.

"If it works out, we can certainly imagine working with Mirko Slomka beyond June 30, 2006," team manager Andreas Mueller said in a statement.

Schalke are currently fourth in the table, 13 points behind leaders Bayern and five behind Werder Bremen in third, the final Champions League qualification spot.

I've never heard of him before. How long will he stay in Schalke? hm....maybe 3 months, I think.

haha, do they change coach often?

Not really often. But since Huub Stevens left Schalke in 2002(he won the UEFA-cup once and the DFB-Pokal twice with Schalke), they've tried Neubarth, Heynckes and Rangnick. None of them reached Stevens. He led Schalke back into glorious times.

And, of course, the main problem ist Schalke's manager Rudi Assauer. You could discribe him as arrogantly. Every year the same procedure: Schalke buys the best players from the last Bundesliga-season (those, who aren't interesting for Bayern Munich), but there are differences with some players or the coach and Schalke doesn't win the championship.

But it was also Rangnick's fault to provocate Assauer.

Ahhh i see, cool thanks for the info!

Much appreciated!

Looks as if you are playing Championship Manager in the background on your pic! ,

I think, that he´ll be a caretaker only until the beginning of the new season, when a new coach is appointed with a high reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Moravcik
    Looks as if you are playing Championship Manager in the background on your pic! ,
    No, it's only one of my websites.

@Hot Rod

Maybe, but Slomka remembers me of Thomas Hörster. You know what I mean

Oh yeah... his career was amazing, wasn´t it?