Thread: Bayern remain keen on Balde

Bayern remain keen on Balde

Bayern Munich are still tracking Celtic defender Bobo Balde after running the rule over him at the recent Old Firm clash.

The 29-year-old has been targeted as a replacement for the Croatian centre-back Robert Kovac.

Uli Hoeness, the Bayern general manager, and coach Felix Magath were impressed with the powerful defender at Ibrox.

Even though the Guinea international recently signed a contract extension until 2008, the Bundesliga giants could yet make Celtic an offer they cannot refuse.

Hoeness said: "Balde hasn't dropped out of our reckoning, in fact anything but. We have good memories of him.

"He is very strong in the air, and both Felix Magath and I were impressed with him. We plan to watch him again.

"We are on the look-out for a good central defender. We took a look at Benfica's Brazilian Luisão but he did not get the thumbs up from us.

"But our scouts are busy looking at players. When they tell us about someone they like, we jump on a plane to go and see them."

Balde is happy at Celtic but the opportunity to play for one of Europe's most prestigious clubs may not come again.

I think they would be better off with someone else, younger and better!

you gotta be joking, i dont see why real madrid arnt in for him! hes a great defender who should be playin more a major team in the CL

He is good, but not that good ! There are better players out there and to go from a place like Scotland to Germany he will really struggle to play well.